Sunday 1 May 2016

The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss: Review

5 stars

Truly fantastic fantasy. Fantastic world building, fantastic writing and word-smithery, fantastic plotting, and fantastic characters. 

One of my favourite literary characters is currently this novels protagonist, Kvothe. His many adventures at a magic-teaching university, including his musical escapades, were highly enjoyable; as were the occasional snippets of his new life as an in-keeper named Kote. On the other hand, I have seen in reviews that people have found him annoying. Although I can understand why readers would think this, I personally didn't feel that at all: I was very invested in Rothfuss' documentation of the character's various talents, rather than frustrated that he was portrayed as an almost perfect magician. I adored him, and still do. 

The poetry of Rothfuss' language makes the story come alive. His words roll off the tongue, lulling you into a dream-world; like music. Just for that, this book deserves to be read.

No comments:

Post a Comment